Simmered Chicken Dish (Ttakkogi Chongol)
Ingredients: 2/3 lb. chicken, 5 dried brown, oak mushrooms, 1/3 carrot, 2 oz. watercress, 2 oz. garland chrysanthemum, 1/3 lb. konyak: jellied potato-cake(used like a noodle), 20 gingko nuts, 2 eggs, 1 green onion, 4 cloves garlic, ginger juice, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tbsp. red pepper powder, 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. red pepper paste, salt, black pepper, MSG
Method:1. Prepare the legs and breast of the chicken by removing the meat from the bones and cutting it into thin strips. Simmer the bones to make the chicken broth .
2. Soak the dried musrhooms in water, remove the stems and cut them into thin strips. Cut the round onion and carrot into thin strips.
3. Cut the small green onions and watercress into 2" lengths.
4. Peel and fry the gingko nuts in an oiled pan. Place them on paper and rub off the top-skins.
5. Cut the konyak into 3/4" x 2 3/4" pieces. Slit each piece down the center leaving the ends intact and twist one end through the slit to shape it like maejagwa, thin Korean cookies.
6. Mix the green onion, chopped garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, sesame oil and salt to make the seasoning sauce. Season the chicken and dried mushroom strips separately.
7. Place the seasoned chicken in the center of a shallow cooking pan, surrounded by the prepared vegetables. Pour the broth over the ingredients and bring to a boil. When the flavor has developed, add the ginko nuts and garland chrysanthemum and bring to a boil and serve.
Hint: The konyak is absorbed in this chicken dish making it more flavorful.