Thursday, January 24, 2008

makgeolli

When we went to Sunchang Maeul, the owner offered us this makgeolli.



Makgeolli is the oldest traditional alcohol in Korea. It is made with glutinous rice, barley and flour. It is milky, off-white in color, and sweet. It is quite popular for old people specially farmers. If you go to some places like temples and you see some white plastic bottles, that's makgeolli. I've tasted it once when i went to the temple with my co-workers. I just tasted a little and i felt very dizzy and seemed like i was already drunk. My co-workers told us not to try to drink it when we are with men because it will really make us dizzy and feel drunk even when you just taste a little.

It tastes delicious and i like it but it made me feel strange. Since then, i never tried to drink it anymore. When i see someone drinking makgeolli, i always remember what my co-worker said. So when hajuma offered us some, my answer although it looks delicious and i want to try some but i chose not to. It's better not to try anymore. Never!

No comments: