Spicy Beef Soup (Yuk kae jang)
Ingredients: 1/2 lb. beef, 1/2 lb. tripe, 1/2 lb. small beef intestine, 1/3 lb. fern bracken, 4 large green onions, black pepper, MSG, seasoning sauce: (3 tbsp. red pepper paste, 9 cloves garlic, 5 tbsp. sesame salt, sesame oil, 4 tbsp. red pepper powder, 4 tbsp. salad oil), 15 cups broth.
1. Wash the beef.
2. Wash and soak the tripe in hot water. Then scrape off the black skin with the back of a knife.
3. Remove any fat from the small intestine and cut it into pieces. Wash the pieces clean scrubbing with coarse salt.
4. Simmer the beef, truo and small intestine in 30 cups of water for 2 hours until very tender.
5. Shred the beef into think strips. Cut the tripe into pieces 2 3/4" long and 1/4" wide. Cut the small intestine into bite-sized pieces.
6. Clean the bracken and green onions and cut them into 4 3/4" lenghths.
7. Put the above ingredients (except the green onions) in a bowl and mix them with the seasoning sauce.
8. Mix and fry the oil and red pepper powder in a pan to make the red pepper oil.
9. Add the #7 seasoned ingredients and 15 cups of the broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the green onion slices and boil slightly again.